Last week, at MIDO in Milan, Steve Jobs was on my mind. This week in New York as Vision Expo gets underway, he is on my mind more than ever! I am sitting here (in a break) at the annual VM Summit which is always a great day of idea sharing, discussion of new trends, and a chance to see old friends and colleagues. This year’s summit theme is “Innovation Everywhere”. They could easily have stolen a page out of the Jobs playbook and called it THINK DIFFERENT. Given everything I have been writing about in this blog, this topic of innovation is very timely and obviously very near and dear to me personally. My mission in writing this has been to share my experiences to help ECPs grow their practice and be more competitive in the new retail environment. Today’s morning panel discussion has crystallized many things we have discussed over the past months. Here is what it means to THINK DIFFERENT:
- Innovation (defined as solving real problems for real people) is key to an enduring company – if we do not innovate, we will be left behind.
- Disruptive technology and disruption in general is changing our entire landscape. We need to embrace new ideas and new technology and new products, or we will be left behind.
- The future is sooner and stranger than you think – if we are not planning for this new future, again, we will be left behind.
- We need to surprise and delight our patients/consumers/customers. What is least expected is what is MOST valuable.
- Consumers today crave information – we need to be information and service providers and be patient-centric. Not transaction-centric.
To summarize this, the focus of the panel discussion was about providing a unique experience. And this made me think about a post I did back in November on Strategy Development. As you think about your strategy, you MUST think about the 5 points listed here. And as you think about your strategy, think about how unique product and providing a unique experience will help set you apart from the competition. Think about how to THINK DIFFERENT.
Thanks to the people at Jobson and Vision Monday for sponsoring such a great annual event. Enjoy Vision Expo!